Guide to get travel holiday insurance for cancer patients

It can be quite difficult to get travel insurance if you have or have had cancer. This is particularly true if you are traveling to the USA from the UK for certain types of holidays like a cruise. However, while difficult, it is not impossible to get insurance if you are or have been a cancer patient. Here’s what you should know about holiday insurance for cancer patients.

Cancer patients and travel insurance

Before a travel insurance company decides whether or not to offer you holiday cover and at what price, it assesses what kind of risk you pose. Company representatives will ask you certain questions to ascertain how likely you are to make a claim and what the claim is likely to cost the company.

Questions normally asked before you are offered travel insurance include questions on your age, holiday destination, length of your trip, planned holiday activities and pre-existing medical conditions. Based on your answers, the insurance company determines how much risk they are ready to take in order to insure you.

If you have or have had cancer, your insurance company will consider this a pre-existing medical condition. Some insurers may ignore pre-existing medical conditions and offer you a ‘standard’ price for your cover, but most won’t.

It is, therefore, important that you start looking for insurance early if you have pre-existing medical condition. This will ensure you are adequately covered before you leave for holiday. Ideally, get holiday insurance for cancer patients before you book your holiday.

Insurance options for cancer patients

If you are having trouble getting cover because of a pre-existing medical condition, consider applying for cover directly at a specialist broker or specialist insurance company that provide special policies to cater for people with serious disability, illness or terminal conditions.

The Cancer Research UK (cancerresearchuk.org) and The British Insurance Brokers Association (BIBA), for example, can provide advise if you are a cancer patient and arrange adequate travel insurance for you. Visit BIBA website at biba.org.uk.

The European Health Insurance Card

If you are traveling on holiday to Switzerland or a country within the European Economic Area (EEA), carry a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). EHIC is not a substitute for holiday insurance for cancer patients, but it is a good thing to have because it entitles you to free or reduced medical care costs in EEA member countries. Learn more and apply for the card online through the NHS Choices website at ehic.org.uk.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2022