Heading to Baguette land? Make sure you know about expat health cover in France


Health is something that no one should take for granted, especially when travelling to a foreign country. Despite the fact that France is one of the safer countries in Europe, it does not mean that it is an exception to the above rule. Here, we have done some research  on the expat health system in France, so you can make sure you keep yourself safe!

The first thing you have to do if work out how long you will be staying in France. For people who are simply travelling there for a holiday or short-term stay, the best option is registering for the European Health Insurance Card. It is intended to provide essential medical care for European holidaymakers in another EU state. It is also fine for businessmen or women who are working in France for short periods. To apply for it, just contact your local health authority.

If, instead, you are settling down in France, then enrolling in the French national state health insurance system makes the most sense. The system is known as the Couverture Maladie Universelle, or CMU scheme. It is valid for expats that are employed in France, retirees or those who are about to retire and for the family members of expats who are living in France. To register in this health system, you need to go one of the CPAM offices (Caisse Primaire Assurance Maladie) located around the country. There are hundreds of them around, and it is pretty easy to organise.

You must also be aware that the CMU scheme only covers up to around 70% of medical bills, so you may also want to consider taking out an additional insurance policy to cover the rest of the bills. One such company is Exclusive Healthcare, and they specialise in providing expats with health insurance that supplement that offered via the state. Check out their website for more details.

United Kingdom - Excite Network Copyright ©1995 - 2022